Its been a quiet day here at Wind Dancer Farm. I've pretty much succeeded to avoid doing much of anything today.
Wayne's been out behind the garage sorting out old timber. When we bought the farm there were piles of all sorts of things in the paddocks. Over the last couple of years we've gone through and sorted things out, burning the timber which was beyond saving, re-using some of it to build the stable, trying to save as much of it as we could.
In fact, every time Wayne made a pile of rubbish to burn off, I'd sneak out and rescue any bits of wood I thought I could use. He hated it!
The reason we have to do this right now (and by 'we' I mean 'he') is because we're planning to have our driveway and the dam fixed and the old timber is lying right in the path of the excavator. Of course, the other reason is to clean up the place. I know farms aren't usually neat and tidy as there's always that extra space to 'just toss that there till later'... I just don't like big messes. We've cleaned up a ton since we moved in here, but there's still plenty left to do.
Last weekend Wayne sorted out weatherboards for the eventual revamp of our small timber shed. Today he sorted out floorboards. One day I'll have a little studio shed.
I can dream...
For now I'd settle for a new stove. A new kitchen. A new bathroom. A dam that doesn't leak. A driveway that doesn't turn into Niagara Falls when it rains.
I don't ask for much.
At least I have my projects which allow me to feel a sense of accomplishment amongst all the things on the To Do list.
Like this lamp.
This is an old lamp that I've had for quite a few years now. I never had the original shade for it so I've never really used it. Its been hanging around in the aforementioned timber shed since we moved here.
Last week, while sorting out things to make, do and finish for the market, I found the lamp base and decided it was time to actually do something with it. I mean, the colour is gorgeous!
I pictured beachy, fresh, white. I pictured texture, rags and frayed edges.
I had kept a couple of skirts I was given , even though I'd never wear them, cause I had planned to do just this with a wire basket I have. I guess the basket will have to wait for other fabric now.
I wove and wrapped the ripped fabric around the wire shade frame, tying new strips as needed, creating a random pattern of weave and knots. I added a few lines of pale taupe as well for a bit of interest.
The result is a gorgeous textured lamp shade. The freshness of the white combined with the turquoise of the base is exactly what I'd been hoping for.
I'm quite happy with how it turned out!