Monday, 12 December 2016

new planter box


How do you like my new planter box? I think its really cool.

This is what it looked like when I got it. 



Yeah, your eyes are seeing well. I haven't done a thing to it other than bringing it home and plonking it on the porch. 

Well... I did put some plants in it. For now. Temporary plants. Two established succulents and 2 cuttings I got from a friend that I didn't have in my collection which I'm trying to grow. And one is a white geranium I am also encouraging to grow. 

I am not a huge geranium lover - I only have one pink one which forms balls of flowers which are gorgeous, and a variegated pink pellargonium a friend gave me a cutting of recently. That's been planted and is already doing well. Talk about low maintenance. But this new cutting is a white one with a double flower I fell in love with.

Looking for pics of the geranium I have and the geranium I think I got I came across some amazing photos!

I'm totally rethinking my stand on geraniums...

This is similar to the pink one I have. Its a pale pink ball of flowers:


According to the site I found this photo on, its a common geranium. But I thought it was uncommon and pretty enough to make me want a cutting. Growing up in Greece, I was used to seeing geraniums everywhere but I never thought they were very pretty.



Maybe its cause they always looked sun bleached and dry... Who knows? My mother loves them cause they take neglect in their stride. Maybe the greek ones are tougher. On the website I found the pink one above it said they didn't survive heat. Tell that to the ones living in pots on greek islands! Mine can cope with the heat but the frost nearly killed it a couple of years ago. Its still recovering. I now keep it on the porch in winter.

I think this is the one I got a cutting of. Its called a Double Trailing Sybil White Pearl. Click on the pic to go to the page.


Here is another photo of a Sybil White Pearl... Drool.


Or it could be this one. The Pelargonium Apple Blossom. How pretty is this one!


And here is another pic. OMG its amazing! I think I've just become a geranium person.


But I digress. My new planter box. I love the 60s look. The inside is lined with a bit of galvanised iron so I don't have to worry about water leaking out the bottom of pots and rotting the wood.



I've actually had this for over a month, but I only put plants in it last week. 

A girl gets busy.

z

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, these geraniums are gorgeous. The blooms are so full it looks like they will just burst! I don't mind geraniums, but Katie doesn't like them for some reason — the smell, I think. But, yours might just win her over, too. I love your new-to-you planter box. Hopefully your dogs won't be enticed to dig in there! Best wishes...Fonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the smell is a bit wierd. To me its a familiar smell from my past, but its not the nicest flower smell. However those varieties are just amazing. You can bet I'll be looking to get the one I don't have! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)