Sunday, 5 March 2017

new grooming room... almost done!

My new grooming room is almost finished. I mean I've been using it for weeks, but I've almost got it how I want it now. Not that I'll ever stop making small adjustments and changes - I am who I am, after all. Being able to say its finished is a big thing for me.

Last week Wayne made me a 'portico' for the entrance. I love it. I just wanted a plain old canopy over the door but he created this wonderful little space which protects the door (and room!) from the wind and rain. He used materials we already had - some cedar boards a friend gave us, leftover bits of laserlite and treated pine from the stable makeover.


You can see where I've put flashing to stop water from seeping into the concrete. Hopefully that works... we'll see when we get the next big rainfall.


Of course, you may have noticed there was one problem with this design... Its dark. Too dark. The three single fluoro lights in the grooming room didn't seem bright enough any more. But I have a cunning plan.... watch this space.


The outside area is almost finished. I put two large pots out there with cuttings from my white hydrangeas in them. Both are doing well even while the original bush the cuttings came from seems to be dying. Even if its not dying it will die soon as I plan to dig it up. Its just not doing well at all.

Anyway, back to the groom room yard... last week, feeling energetic, I decided it was time to fill the yard with pine bark. I'd already lined the ground with newspapers, old rugs, old carpet, whatever I had lying around to stop weeds coming up. I'd ordered a load of pine bark which was sitting in the driveway... I had a shovel and a wheel barrow... what more could I want?



I'll tell you what: a younger back. 

Or more sense.

I did something like 24 wheelbarrow loads of pine bark. I was breathing hard. I was tired. I was aching. But I kept pushing on. I kept thinking 'not much more to go and it'll be finished'...

Big mistake. I stopped about 3 loads short of finishing cause by then I was too sore to move.

I couldn't walk for a week.

The original plan had been to put some sweet peas along the fence but I've decided against it. With the snake incident I've become a little bit too scared to let my dogs outside unless I'm home... However the snake lady who came to visit gave me some advice I'm following. She basically said two things: 1. get rid of the food source (ie keep all horse and chicken feed in sealed containers which won't attract mice and rats) and 2. don't try to keep snakes out - they will get in anyway if they want to - allow them a way out if they do get in. ie The one thing you don't want is a snake trapped in with your dog.

So, I'm not putting plants in the ground in my little yard. I'll let the sweet peas grow on the outside of the fence so if a snake wants to rest in a cool spot, its outside the fence. And if one gets in somehow, it will have plenty of gaps to escape through.

As for the embankment with the tyres - where the snake was - the snake lady suggested we fence it off. Again, using what we have, we decided to put an electric fence across it, thus stopping dogs from climbing onto it, and again, allowing any snakes that may get into our yard a way out.

Lets hope no snakes come into our yard again.


Its looking good though, isn't it? I have little metal poodles which will have arrows on them to point the way, and a large sign on the wall. Hopefully people will then know where the grooming room is...

Inside is still a work in progress. I have hooks for my dremmel and clippers. I have paintings and photos on the walls. The door has a window and a handle!


Okay, not in this photo, but it does. My first ever door handle! I'm so proud of myself! 

I still have tools lying around everywhere so excuse the mess.



I even made myself a scissor rack. What self respecting groomer doesn't have a scissor rack?


I have a cute little stool for visitors...


Of course I have a cd player, and a cute poodle planter holds my business cards.


Pictures, paintings, old ads featuring poodles... my aprons on a huge nail and a plaque painted by a friend many years ago.



I bought this mantlepiece years ago and have never had anywhere to put it. I decided I'll use it as a shelf for now - to display some of my poodle items.



Eventually I'll have all my poodle collection on display in there, along with items for sale. Since I now have a separate area for drying dogs things don't get covered in dog hair in the room. Its such a relief!

Anyway, I'll take more photos soon, as things progress - like the signs and the change to the portico...

z

1 comment:

  1. You have a wonderful set-up. Our vet happens to have a black poodle similar to yours that is close to the road so we can find the place. Your scissors holder is the best! Also, Wayne made such a nice entry. You are in business!!! Best wishes! Fonda

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)